Zygomatic Implants - How to Take Care Post Implantation!
Zygomatic implants are not like other conventional methods of dental implants. This is a special process of dental implantation that imbibes evidence-based dental surgery. Such implants work as a prosthetic solution to all kinds of 2-stage or immediate loading dental protocols. The process is usually used in case the maxillary bone quality or the quantity is not enough for any regular dental implant.
It has been evident that Zygomatic implants have turned out to be an effective and safe dental implant process. This is what gives it a survival rate of around 96% even after 12 years. Zygomatic treatment is best suited for patients who do not possess an adequate level of the jawbone. This is better than other kinds of bone graft or sinus lift dental procedures.
What is the success rate of zygomatic implants?
Like the other conventional dental implants, zygomatic dental implants have a high success rate, too. The success rate ranges from 97-98%. Different Zygomatic implants like sinusitis, paresthesia and Oro-antral fistula are also performed for patients with complex dental issues.
Time is taken for Zygomatic implants healing
Even though the gum tissues appear to be healed after 10-14 days, still the implants are not strong for at least 5 months. The surrounding bones of the implants will remain to be soft, still.
So, it is very important to take care of the surgery area as recommended by your surgeon. Make sure to follow his instructions, religiously to avoid any inconvenience or difficulty with the surgery area.
Caring for Zygomatic Implants
- The utmost care and concern should be taken after a zygomatic implant. The caring process is not different from the other implants. However, it is recommended to take proper care as suggested by your oral surgeon to heal faster and in a better way.
- The gentle swishing of the oral area with warm salt water or any doctor-prescribed mouth wash can be performed, post meals. This will help in removing any stuck food particles.
However, brushing the artificial or natural teeth can be done a few days later but that too gently. Smoking is again a no-no at least for 3 weeks of the procedure as its detrimental to healing, post-surgery. It is, however, recommended to quit smoking for better oral health.
How to take care of your mouth after the implant?
Good oral hygiene is essential to successful healing. If prescribed by your dentist, use chlorhexidine mouthwash. The day after tooth replacement surgery, warm salt-water rinses are also recommended and should be used four to five times a day, especially after meals. Be gentle when using mouthwashes and avoid vigorous swilling.
Home Care Tips for Zygomatic Implants
Post your zygomatic implant, there are several recommendations to follow, back home. This is important to ensure you do not have to face any challenges further. Here are a few home-care tips to follow soon after your zygomatic surgery!
- Avoid disturbing the surgical area in your mouth
- Vigorous rinsing around the surgical site is simply a no-no.
- However, gentle swishing using warm salt water or any other doctor-prescribed mouthwash can be used for removing the food particles from the mouth.
- Make sure to brush the artificial or natural teeth, very gently.
- Smoking for at least 3 weeks following the procedure is recommended. However, it is recommended to quit smoking.
- Mostly self-dissolving sutures are used for the process so there is not any need for external removal.
- However, make sure to get it regularly checked by your surgeon.
- In case, you feel your loose sutures or any string in the oral area, do not panic, get in touch with your consultant.
- No blowing of your nose for at least 2 weeks period, post the procedure.
- If you feel like sneezing, avoid opening your mouth for at least 2 weeks, post the procedure.
- Usage of toothpaste for the initial 4 days is not recommended. Only make minimal use of your mouthwash.
- Avoid using a Waterpik.
- In case of any movement felt around the dental prosthesis area, ensure consulting your dentist on an SOS mode. However, do not panic.
Dental Implant Success
In order to make your zygomatic implant succeed and stay healthy, it is very important to follow the recommendations given by your surgeon. The success and healing of your dental implant are completely dependent on the kind of care, one undertakes. Complications can come up if the right care and concern are not taken in time, especially following the first few weeks of the dental implant procedure. The cost of dental implants in India is affordable but it is always recommended to cross-check and compare the prices and experience of the surgeon, you opt for.
Makes sure to consult a dentist at Smilessence for the overall care of your oral health and be specific with the care and concern process.
Back to blogs